***This Press Release went out to all the major news outlets in Michigan this past November. Robert Mol was a write-in candidate and long-shot to beat this incumbent, corrupt judge because people just didn’t know about him. The news outlets largely ignores this but we will be persistent until the media covers this! Please share this in support of helping those of us who have suffered at the hands of Judge Engle and others in Ottawa County Family Court.***
Nov. 3, 2016
Contact: Gina Fischer
Domestic violence survivors file Judicial Tenure Commission complaints against Judge Kent Engle
Group of women endorse write-in candidate Robert Mol
(OTTAWA COUNTY, Mich.) – A group of several women have filed or are in the process of filing Judicial Tenure Commission complaints against Judge Kent Engle.
These protective parents have evidence that Engle has not followed Michigan child abuse and custody laws, putting children and their mothers in harms’ way. These women have been working with a non-profit organization called Wings for Justice (www.wingsforjustice.com) and are beginning to share their stories publicly in order to help others who are suffering through the same injustices.
There is evidence that Judge Engle has accepted $5,000 from an abusive father, has said on the record that he doesn’t need to follow contract law, has thrown out evidence of domestic violence and put children back in the homes of documented violent abusers. These children and domestic violence survivors need to be protected by the law and not violated further with the help of Judge Engle.
The women are endorsing write-in challenger Robert Mol in the Nov. 8 election. Upon meeting Mol, these women can see that he understands firsthand Engle’s misconduct and wants to bring change and restore law and order by putting the best interests of children first.
“Judge Engle needs to be held accountable for not following the law and endangering our children,” said Gina Fischer, of Portage, formerly of West Olive. “Throwing out evidence from police and doctor’s reports of domestic violence and sending children into an abusive situation is against the law. Robert Mol cares for children and understands the laws that are supposed to govern family court.”
The group includes:
• Gina Fischer, of Portage, formerly of West Olive, tried to stop her ex-husband from drinking and driving with her children during a winter storm warning. He then filed parenting time denial complaints and an investigation was launched. A drug test was falsified and accepted as evidence by Judge Engle. The children’s father lives with a woman who lost custody in two separate cases of her own four children due to felony child neglect, yet Gina’s children are still required to go to their home. Engle signed subpoenas but did not hold her ex-husband in contempt for not producing his financial records. Later it was found in court documents that the Judge Engle accepted an extra $5,000 more than what he said on the record that her ex-husband paid. Judge Engle also lowered child support so her ex-husband could start his own business, which is not allowable by the law. Gina’s ex-husband now only pays sporadically, if at all.
• Wendi Miller, of California, formerly of Holland, was wrongfully jailed for 90 days for protecting her daughter after being sexually abused by her father. The forensic evidence of the abuse was quashed by the court and her children were given to their abuser for the last six years, only seeing their mother two days each month. Her case was sealed to the public. Judge Engle previously recused himself from her case because he knows her personally. In June 2016, after Wendi went public with her story, Engle put himself back on her case and indicated he will have her arrested for $1,200 of back child support, even though she had recently lost her job. Engle refuses to allow her case to leave Michigan even though Michigan has no legal jurisdiction over the case because neither parent lives here anymore. Because of this, Wendi can’t bring a motion before the court in Michigan to get her kids back because Michigan has lost jurisdiction over the case. However, Engle illegally refuses to let the case be moved to the states that would have jurisdiction over it – California and Colorado, where the children and parents reside.
• Lana Baar, of Jenison, lost her children when Judge Engle signed an ex parte order to remove her children to give extended parenting time with her abusive ex-husband while her judge was on vacation. She had a PPO against him and stacks of medical reports from DeVos Children’s Hospital and Pine Rest detailing the abuse that her children had suffered at the hands of their father. In order to remove a child without a hearing, strict criteria must be met, none of which was followed before removing her children from a loving mother. The children have been in this abusive situation for over a year now with no plan for reunification put in place.
• Ann Maguire, of Holland, was wrongfully jailed for 10 days when her 15 and 17 year old children refused to ride in their father’s car to parenting time. They insisted on driving themselves because of their father’s violent and suicidal history as detailed in 10 police reports and 4 PPO’s. The father then lost parenting rights after admitting to the violence on the stand during a custody hearing. Since Engle has taken over her case in 2015, she has been brought back to court approximately 15 times in the last year by her wealthy ex-husband to remove spousal support after a 29 year marriage where she put him through medical school. Judge Engle has fined her and made her pay for services that were contracted by the court, saying that he doesn’t have to follow contract law. He admits on the record to talking about her case with her brother, Judge Jon VanAllsburg, who has been estranged from Ann and his other siblings for years.
• Brandi Walker, of Allendale, has been receiving help from the Center for Women in Transition for over two years after being attacked while pregnant by her boyfriend. She lived in hiding for four months and is still receiving help from CWIT because she is threatened each time she sees her abuser and is stalked at her home and her place of employment. She has close to 1000 photos of bruises and marks on her baby and herself, some taken by an Ottawa County Deputy, doctors’ reports, police reports, and has had personal protection orders against her abuser. Despite all of this evidence, Judge Engle has said she failed to prove he abused her and her son. Just this month, he has ordered a Friend of the Court investigation including psychological testing against the mother and ordered her to pay for this investigation.
Ann Maguire filed her JTC complaint this week, and it is attached below. The others are in the process of filing complaints. All of these women are willing to share all of their documentation with reporters who are interested in reporting the truth about Judge Engle.